How to Move to London from America (in 2019)

This post contains affiliate links for which I may make a small commission to help keep the site running. You will not be charged extra for these items had you not clicked the links. Thank you for your help to keep the site running!

Spread the love

I’ve talked about my journey of moving to London from America before, but I remember months and months of desperately Googling things like “how to move to the UK from America” and “how to move to London as an American” many times when I was first starting out.

You are basically hoping for a miracle or at least an article that will tell you all about UK visa types and ultimately reassure you that moving to London is easy (false).

Before I go any further, I am going to do a shameless self-plug of my eBook, “An American Girl’s Guide to Studying Abroad in London”. If you are thinking of studying in London, be sure to check it out for lots of tips and tricks. You can get it here.

Well, I’m not going to give you a miracle, but I am going to recommend a book that you absolutely need to order right now if you’re at all interested in learning about crazy British ways and figuring out if you actually do want to move from London to America.

The book is called “Watching the English” and you should click here and check it out.

It takes everything you think you know about the UK and either explains it or shows you what you’re really getting yourself into (major small talk and frequent tea breaks, woo!)


The good old American flag, as seen in Dallas, TX! Like this photo? I used this camera with this lens.

Hey, sidenote! If you’re traveling to the UK, whether for a short period of time or as an expat, why don’t you join my Facebook group where you can ask questions, get advice or just look at pretty pictures of this part of the world! Just click here to request to join and I’ll add you!

Anyway, I started as a study abroad student at Richmond: The American University in London and with API and CAPA, then did my Master’s Degree at the University of Westminster, and then finally got a partner visa and now live here permanently.

So for anyone wondering how to move from America to London or how to move from America to England, here are some things you really need to know.

What Visa Do You Need to Move to London?

You can’t get around needing a visa as an American to come and live in London, unless you happen to have dual citizenship, in which case, you’re set!

For the rest of us not lucky enough to have royal parents or other means of getting in, you’re going to have to apply for one of the following types of UK visas (these are the major ones).

Visas have been the bane of my existence since I started this journey, and I have spent many long days wondering about my visa.

Tier 2 Visa

The Tier 2 Visa is a type of UK work visa that requires that you have a company in London already willing to sponsor you.

This route can be difficult, as companies need to submit proof to show that you are filling a spot that any other British/EU applicant can’t fill.

So maybe you have special knowledge of a subject or of the company that they need.

Typically people who have success in this route already have inroads to a network of people in London, as well as a specialized knowledge of a field like engineering.

If you work for an American company, they can also arrange what’s called an Intra-Company Tier 2 visa if you are transferring from their American office to their London office.

Can’t get much more American than this cattle drive in Fort Worth, TX! Like this photo? I used this camera with this lens.

Tier 4 Visa

A Tier 4 Visa is essentially a student visa. Your sponsor is the university or higher education facility that you’re studying with.

The most common way is to either do study abroad from an American university or to direct enroll in a London university that is a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor.

The limit with a Tier 4 visa is that you have to leave the country by the date on your visa (typically 1 week to 2 months after the end of your studies, depending on how long your visa is).

The only way to stay in the country is to be able to switch to another visa, like a partner visa.

You can have multiple Tier 4 visas in succession, but only if you continuing in your education.

You can’t spend your whole life earning Bachelor’s Degrees from London universities just because you want to move to London from the US.

Tier 5 Visa

Another option is the Tier 5 Visa, which is for Temporary Workers.

The most popular way for this to work for Americans is to do the BUNAC program.

Through BUNAC, you arrange your own internship and then BUNAC act as your sponsor so that the internship company doesn’t have to.

You can also pay extra for internship companies to arrange your placement, but if you’re in the position where you can take an unpaid internship, you can great luck finding one yourself by searching on and

Check out my BUNAC review to see what I thought of the program.

BUNAC was how I came back to the UK after my undergraduate study abroad programs were over.

However, there is a stipulation that you must either be a current student or within a certain amount of time from having earned your degree, so you won’t be able to do this program if you haven’t been enrolled in college for a long time.

Partner/Marriage visa

This is the holy grail for someone looking to move to London permanently, but of course you need to be in an actual relationship first.

For full disclosure, this is the route I’m on, but make sure that you’re really ready to commit to someone.

Do NOT get in a relationship for the visa or because you really want to move to London. It should go without being said, but the stories you hear make me wonder…

There are two different types of partner visa: the unmarried partner visa, and the marriage visa.

The unmarried partner visa was the first one I got in March 2016.

It requires you to have lived with someone in “a relationship akin to marriage” (i.e., you share financial responsibilities and aren’t just roommates) for 2 or more years.

It doesn’t matter which country you’re living together in, as long as one of you is a British citizen.

However, you’re going to need proof spanning that whole 2 years that you’ve lived together, which can be hard to find if you have been getting rid of paperwork over the years.

They’re very strict about the 2 year mark, so if you’ve been living together for 1.5 years, you’re out of luck.

Somehow the universe was working in my favor as I found out about this visa and realized that the date my student visa expired was exactly the 2 year mark to having lived for 2 + years with my then-boyfriend.

You might also enjoy  Food Culture Shock: A Lesson on UK Pickles from Haywards

I’m not sure what I did to deserve that kind of luck, but I haven’t taken it for granted since then.

The other visa you can apply for is the marriage visa.

This requires you to be legally married (it can be in America) and for one of you to be a UK citizen, AND for that person to be able to financially support you either through a job offer making a certain amount of money per year or through their current earnings.

The requirement is 18,600 GBP per year, so if they fall short of that, you’re also out of luck.

As I mentioned, you should definitely consult an immigration expert for actual immigration advice, as I can’t comment on specific circumstances.

However, I have received three Tier 4 visas, on Tier 5 visa, and one partner visa (due for renewal in September 2018), so I’ve been around the block, so to speak, and would be happy to give you general guidance on where I found my immigration advice and the tips I used to keep myself organized.

Practical Tips on Moving to London

Once you have your visa in hand, whether you’re a student, an intern, an employee, or a spouse, you’re going to want to take care of the basics like accommodation, a cellphone, and a way to get around.

Even the differences between American and British grocery stores can be a lot to handle!

Accommodation for Expats in London

If you’re moving without a relocation package, you’re going to need to find your own flat. Keep in mind that prices get cheaper the further out from the center you go, but so do transportation prices!

You need to find the sweet spot that’s close enough to your place of study/work that you’re not commuting for 6 hours a day, but you likely won’t be able to live next to Buckingham Palace, SORRY!

Great sites to use include Spareroom if you just want to rent a sublet room from someone and not from a landlord necessarily.

If you want to do it through an agency or landlord, look up flats for rent on Rightmove or Zoopla.

I would highly advise taking a look at the current prices and looking at a couple to get an idea for what area’s they’re in before committing somewhere.

How to Get a Cellphone in London

If you’re moving to London more permanently, you’ll want to disconnect your American number and sign up on a pay-as-you-go plan initially with a UK provider.

Not only does this keep costs down, but no one is going to want to be friends with you if they constantly need to text you on your American number as it costs a lot of money.

My favorite provider that I’ve been with for the past 5 years is Three.

They have fantastic data plans, too, because let’s face it, who really calls each other these days?

Once you have a bit of credit in the UK, you can transfer onto a monthly plan.

If you’re moving more temporarily and will be back to the US at the end of 6 months or something, I wouldn’t disconnect your American number.

Instead take the American SIM card out of your American cellphone, make sure it’s unlocked, and put in a UK sim card (again, pay as you go) to use while you’re there. You can order a sim card in advance here. 

You will only be allowed the pay-as-you-go plan most likely, so you’ll need to “top up” occasionally, which can be done at the Three stores all across London (Three as in the provider, not the number of stores!)

You can get a Three SIM card with minutes, texts and data to put in your phone here, or a data-only SIM card here.

Transportation in London

One thing about London that can’t be ignored is how great the transportation options are.

Tube, bus, river boat, even a strange sky gondola system called the Emirates Air Line.

The tube is very efficient, except when it’s not.

But mostly it is!

Check out my guide on how Americans should use the tube to make sure you’re prepared when you’re all up in a business man’s personal space.

The buses are also a great option, and a better option for some people as they go more places.

That being said, buses go a lot slower in rush hour traffic than they do early on a Sunday morning, so keep in mind the timing of your journey as well.

Every Londoner gets around these days using their Contactless card, but you would most likely need a UK debit or credit card for this to work.

If you don’t, the next best thing is an Oyster card, which allows you to either add a “travelcard” (so for instance, full access to Zones 1-6 for 1 month), or it will just deduct the cost of your journey each time you go.

There’s a daily cap as well so once you hit a certain cost of journeys for the day, it won’t charge you.

Head to the Transport for London counter at a major tube station to talk to the staff about what might work best for you.

If you are really in to London’s Underground, there is this fun book on facts about it, which may be of interest to you before you journey on it!

Emotional Considerations when Moving Overseas

I’m not sure if “emotional” is the right word for it, but if you haven’t thought about the impact that moving to London will have on you, now is the time!

For one, unless you know someone there initially, you’re going to be on your own and away from your family and friends.

If you’re used to moving around a lot, this may not impact you, but if you’ve never lived outside of your hometown before or you’ve only gone away for college, you need to thin about how to make sure you’re ready to cope with the distance and establishing yourself in a new life.

You also need to go into this process with a positive attitude and a sense of harsh reality.

Moving to London is difficult if you don’t have any connections, and that’s not to say that it can’t be done, but that is to say that there’s no way it’s going to happen if you don’t have an incredibly positive attitude about it and roll with the punches.

You also need to have an understanding of what you’re getting into and realize that many things need to line up perfectly for it to happen.

I don’t say this to dissuade you, but I’ve seen too many people fresh off a study abroad program proclaim that they’re going to move back who get incredibly disappointed after it doesn’t happen for them.

You might also enjoy  Is There a TJMaxx in the UK or London?

Be realistic about the chances and don’t put all of your eggs in this particular basket.

I can also thoroughly recommend that you look in to meditation. This has been a huge help for many people dealing with anxiety or general worry, especially for things like travel, flying, moving, and so on. You could get a book on mediation, or grab an audiobook if you prefer them.

Culture Shock as an American in London 

Another thing to keep in mind is that if it all aligns for you and you get to move to London or somewhere else in the UK, you’re going to encounter culture shock!

As Americans, we often think this doesn’t apply to us because our friends across the pond speak the same language as us. But oh my god, that couldn’t be more wrong!

Firstly, check out my post all about how culture shock appears and what stages you’ll likely go through.

Secondly, understand that oftentimes culture shocks hits Americans in London even HARDER than if we were to travel to somewhere we don’t speak the language.

If we find ourselves in the center of Ghana or an island in Italy or a busy city in China, we are sort of mentally prepared in a way that the culture is going to be different.

This doesn’t help alleviate culture shock, but it does help to get you through it because you understand that it’s going to take some adjusting.

A very British scene in the Lake District area. Like this photo? I used this camera with this lens.

The danger of Americans in the UK is that we just think it will all be the same.

So you’re not as mentally prepared for some words to mean different things, gestures to be foreign (did you know that Brits give the “middle finger” with two fingers?), and people to generally regard you as an “outsider” even though you feel like you know what’s going on.

Even if you’re well versed in British things and know the difference between Primark and Argos and can name all of the ingredients in a fry up or a Sunday dinner.

Even if you’ve tried fish and chips and love them, even if you know that “pram” means “stroller” and “college” in the UK isn’t the same as college in the US.

EVEN IF you feel like you know what’s going on, there’s going to be an element of adjusting and to this day, 5 years after moving to the UK, there are some idioms and other things that go straight over my head.

If you want to verse yourself in British culture before your trip, be sure to check out  “Watching the English” .

How Likely Is it That I Can Move to England as An American?

I want to address the likelihood that you will be able to move to London from America, and not because I want to make you feel bad, but because I want you to understand the things I didn’t understand when I first moved here.

You might also enjoy: 3 Ways of Becoming an Expat

Firstly, yes, you can move to England as an American, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy and it doesn’t mean it happens for everyone.

The UK as a nation, right now, is very much not about welcoming in immigration.

You can debate whether or not this is a good thing (as an immigrant myself, you can guess which side I’m on), but the fact of the matter is that you are going to be up against certain obstacles at every step of the journey.

From companies that don’t understand that you need a visa and then hire you, only to tell you that they’re not prepared to sponsor you to companies that aren’t prepared to sponsor you, to companies that ARE prepared to sponsor you but don’t meet the salary requirements, there are many stories of Americans who have been disappointed in their desire to move to the UK.

Like this photo of the Lake District? I used this camera with this lens.

To be honest, if I hadn’t been eligible for a partner visa with my now-husband once my student visas expired, I wouldn’t have been successful in finding a job to sponsor me.

As someone who majored in Communication and Public Relations, I wasn’t in a particularly needed field, and especially not for entry level professionals who didn’t have amazing experience or knowledge in the particular UK company they’re applying for.

I did almost snag myself a 6 month job with QVC UK as a copywriter, but in the end the role I was applying for didn’t get approved by the CEO and I was left with nothing.

That being said, there are stories of success and I have heard them.

With the right connections, luck, inability to give up and specific skills, it can be done and these categories above you will help you decide which route you should try.

If you’ve got a question, feel free to ask here or at, as I can either tell you about my own experience or point you in the direction of the resources I use.

It is possible to move to the UK after study abroad, it just takes some planning and persistence and commitment to studying the requirements. Don’t lose hope!

Don’t forget to pick up my eBook, “An American Girl’s Guide to Studying Abroad in London” if you are thinking of studying in London. It is full of tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your time there. You can get it here.

Coming to London Soon?

Hey! Since you’re here I’m assuming you’re intent on visiting this amazing city soon! A great way to really immerse yourself in UK culture is see the sights with the help of a guided tour. I’ve picked out a few highly recommended ones below!

Tower of London Tour with Crown Jewels: One of the best things about having a Royal family is imagining you’ll be a part of it one day… and what better way than to imagine yourself in their jewels! Or at least stare dumbfoundedly. Either way, this tour is a sure fire way to get dazzled by London.

Westminster to Greenwich River Thames Cruise: London is built around the River Thames, and one could even say it’s the most important part of the whole city! As such there’s no better, or relaxing for that matter, way to see the sights than from the view of the river itself! This tour takes you around the city and shows why all Londoners are really still rugged sea voyagers at heart, if maybe just a little more posh now.

Oxford, Stratford, and Cotswolds: Londoners would have you fooled, but there’s more to this beautiful nation than just what remains within the confines of London… shocker I know!! And if picturesque beauty is what you’re looking for I really recommend checking out the quaint and historical towns that scatter the outskirts. If nothing else, this tour will give you a break from commuting by the tube, and we all need that eventually.

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


3 years ago

This is all so true! I was offered a teaching position in a school just south of London for this coming school year. It was basically my dream come true. However, when I soon realized how expensive it is to move abroad and that the school wouldn’t be offering a sign on bonus (like a lot of American schools do when they are in high need) or moving expenses at all, I decided to put my dream on hold for another year so I can save money. I think it’s a lot easier to move abroad when it’s to be with a citizen of that country. Doing it alone, with no monetary support is beyond expensive. Not to mention the cost of living is close to three times the amount it costs to live where I am in the US. Le sigh.


3 years ago

Aw! Sorry it didn’t quite work out for you to take it in the end. It is definitely hard alone, but if it’s what you want to do keep saving up! 🙂


3 years ago

While I’m sure Guy is a great catch, you lost me at “fall in love with a British boy”… I just don’t think I’m ready to make that step. 😀


3 years ago

Haha! Where is your dedication!??! Okay, okay, maybe I’ll write a “Moving to the UK with Someone You Already Love” guide. 😀


3 years ago

That might be more relevant to our situation! 🙂


7 months ago

Thank You! I very much appreciate the helpful and honest guidance!!


2 months ago

Thanks for the feedback, Jan! I am glad it was helpful!


Contact me


Contents of this website, including text, images, and videos, are Copyright © Kalyn Franke. All Rights Reserved. Licences have been obtained where necessary for other contents. Contents of this website may not be used or duplicated without written permission of Kalyn Franke. Music pieces remain copyright of their respective copyright holders. Licences for music pieces have been obtained where required.

Copyright © 2018 Kalyn Franke